Workshop Dates and Locations
- Workshop date: Saturday May 16th, 2020
- Paper submission: February 20th, 2020
- Notification of acceptance: March 16th, 2020
- Camera ready submission deadline: April 5th, 2020
- Main Event: https://lrec2020.lrec-conf.org/en/
- Venue: Le Palais du Pharo
What is Code Switching?
- Code-switching (CS) is the phenomenon by which multilingual speakers switch back and forth between their common languages in written or spoken communication.
- CS is typically present on the intersentential, intrasentential (mixing of words from multiple languages in the same utterance) and even morphological (mixing of morphemes) levels.
- CS presents serious challenges for language technologies such as Parsing, Machine Translation (MT), Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR), information retrieval (IR) and extraction (IE), and semantic processing.
- Traditional techniques trained for one language quickly break down when there is input mixed in from another language.
- Even for problems that are considered solved for specific domains and languages, such as language identification, or part of speech tagging, performance degrades at a rate proportional to the amount and level of the mixed-language present.
Updates will be given through the workshop Google group: email@example.com, and the Twitter account: @WCALCS. Direct updates will be sent by email to the participants based on the information provided in the registration form.